Elana Amsterdam of Elana’s Pantry is a gluten free cooking and baking genius. Her book, The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook, is amazing! Elana was motivated to become gluten free when she and her son were diagnosed with Celiac Disease. To go to her blog click here.
These crackers are vegan and gluten free, so I know you will love them.
I’m a bit of a cracker-a-holic. I think the quest for crunchy food intensifies when one goes gluten free. So, I’ve made a habit of baking crackers at least once a week, if not more. However, many cracker thieves dwell in my abode. As quickly as I make crackers they disappear. Therefore, some weeks, the cracker quest continues day in and day out.
Crackers made with almond flour (or in this case almond milk pulp, more on that in a minute) are highly nutritious and slightly addictive. They’re perfect with any number of spreads including Homemade Goat Cheese, Fig Tapenade, Sesame Dip or Savory Avocado Spread.
These particular Almond Pulp Crackers are a bit of a recycled treat. I know that sounds odd, maybe even unappetizing, though let me explain.
After I make Almond Milk I use the leftover pulp of the almonds to create these delicious, high fiber crackers. Seasoned with fresh thyme, they’re vegan, gluten free and super healthy. If you make them in your dehydrator (I don’t have one) they’re even raw. I bake mine in the oven on low to preserve as many of the live enzymes in them as possible, though because my oven doesn’t go lower than 135° technically they are not raw. Still, they’re good.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Roll dough into a ball, press between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll to ¼ inch thickness
- Remove top piece of parchment paper
- Transfer the bottom piece with rolled out dough onto baking sheet
- Cut dough into 2-inch squares with a knife or pizza cutter
- Bake at 135° for at least 20 hours, or until crunchy
- Let crackers come to room temperature on baking sheet, then serve
For a printable version of this recipe click here.
To view the original post on Elana’s Pantry click here.