Over the Memorial Day Weekend we went to a BBQ at a friend’s house and I was tasked with bringing a healthy-ish dessert.
Frozen chocolate covered bananas were always my favorite Disneyland treat and I think it is because that was the only place I ever saw them when I was younger. I had a MASSIVE sweet tooth, yet I would choose those every time over a Mickey ice cream sandwich or the other fun ice cream treats they sold.
I thought that chocolate covered frozen bananas would fit the bill and would be fun for my daughter and I to make together. She is the age now where I am wanting to give her more freedom in the kitchen and this was the perfect recipe for that.
This dessert ended-up being a hit with kids and adults alike…I’m pretty sure they will make a regular appearance this summer.
- Ripe Bananas (not too ripe though)
- Popsicle sticks
- Chocolate chips for melting (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- Various toppings
- Trail mix (we chopped ours up in the blender)
- Mini marshmallows
- Coarse sugar
- Cut bananas into 3″ slices
- Stick a Popsicle stick into each banana piece
- Place the banana pieces on a cookie sheet and freeze for an hour or longer
- Melt the chocolate chips (I used the double boiler method)
- Coat each frozen banana with the melted chocolate and immediately sprinkle on the toppings (the chocolate will harden FAST)
- Lay the finished product back on the cookie sheet and into the freezer until ready to serve
What’s your favorite healthy-ish summertime dessert???